The bridge construction was initiated simultaneously with the construction of the Orlík Reservoir in 1957. The construction cost 71 million Czechoslovak crowns and it was defi nitively completed in 1967. At that time, the bridge was considered the largest simple full-wall two-joint steel arch bridge in the world. It is currently among the fi rst twenty bridges and the fi rst in the Czech Republic. Until today it is also the longest arch bridge with an upper deck (without the draw bar). The bridge has gone through an extensive reconstruction and there is a beautiful view from its deck and the surrounding slopes.
The acoustics below the bridge is an anomaly – no sound is normally heard when an object falls on the water surface.