This was an important guard location in the past. Throughout history, the site was a border guard point, a fortified settlement, an important guard castle, and finally a residential chateau. A number of aristocratic families alternated ownership through the centuries, such as the Sternbergs and Marie von Wallenstein, who was enchanted by the view onto the river in the deep valley. The castle now features historic weapons, armor, cannons, catapults, cellars, a torture room, an execution room, a jail, an oracle, and even secret castle escape corridors. One of them, leading down to the Nežárka River, is now open to visitors.
The castle of Stráž nad Nežárkou is mostly associated with the world-famous Czech opera singer Emmy Destinn, who owned the castle from 1918 until her death in 1930. After the Second World War, the castle was nationalized and used by the Czechoslovak Army and the Social Welfare Institute, resulting in major devastation.
Music truly echoes throughout the castle. The sound of Emmy Destinn, her students, and her successor Jarmila Novotná singing resounds through the permanent castle expositions. The castle also serves as a venue for concerts by world-renowned artists and ensembles, with the social events to match. Soloists from the London Royal Opera, Vienna Opera, Metropolitan Opera in New York, prominent Czech soloists and other personalities, such as Master Josef Suk and soloists of the Kubelík family, have performed here, for example. No less interesting was the music of the Castle Guard of Prague Castle and other artists and ensembles.
Emmy Destinn loved the countryside here. When she entered the castle grounds for the first time as the owner, she had a memorable oak planted in front of the castle. The second memorable oak at the castle was planted by the present owner, Mrs. Radoslava Doubravová, when she purchased the castle in devastated condition in 2002.
Castle visitors are also introduced to the course of reconstruction work from roof trusses, ceilings, and floors, down to the interior furnishings. The reconstruction was originally estimated to last approximately 15 years, but the Doubravá couple officially opened the castle to the public in 2006.
The present owner is now able to present the extensive history of the guard castle, the chateau, and permanent castle exhibitions into a series of interesting and popular books that are available only at the castle. Today, the castle complex offers three fascinating sightseeing routes and is one of the most beautiful chateaus in the Czech Republic
Near by tips: Třeboň Not more than 15 km away, Třeboň offers a number of local monuments, a pond system, spas, cultural activities, fishing festivals, and excellent South Bohemian cuisine.