The first written mention of the former castle comes from 1235. A wooden fortress had been erected on a rocky island in the middle of a swamp and later rebuilt into a castle. The most famous period of the castle’s history is related to the Lev Family of Rožmitál. Jaroslav Lev of Rožmitál even became the brother-in-law of King George of Poděbrady. Jaroslav Lev initiated an extensive reconstruction of Blatná, and his son, Zdeněk Lev, continued in his work. He called the famous architect Benedikt Rejta who built the most valuable part of the Blatná Castle, the Gothic and Renaissance palace with its trihedral bays. From 1798, Blatná belonged to the Hildprandts of Ottenhausen, and under their reign the castle was rebuilt into a chateau at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries. The Hildprandts, who were violently expelled from the castle in 1950, regained the Blatná Castle into their possession in 1990. The Blatná Castle is mainly dominated by the White Tower that mirrors on the water’s surface from a long distance. Tours around the castle include, for example, visits to the Oriental, Baroque, and Empire lounge, the hunting lounge, and the family gallery, while the extended tour includes the “Green Room” with wall paintings from the end of the 15th century. The castle interiors are mainly furnished with the Hildprandt Family collections. The English park around the castle with its area of 42 hectares is also accessible to the public. Breeding of fallow deer continues in the park, and exotic trees are planted there.
The Blatná Castle and its surroundings is a favorite place for filmmakers. For example, the fairy tales Šíleně smutná princezna (Terribly Sad Princess) and Bílá paní (White Lady) were fi lmed here.